Tuesday, September 2, 2008

¡Guate!

Dear Debbie,

You can all rest assured, I made it- no problems.

Different tourists stand out in their out of place outfits on every courner here. The buildings come right up to the cobble stones streets and hide ruins or beautiful little courtyards. For all that there are many people around, it doesn´t feel like walking in a crowd.

I dumped my bags at the Black Cat Hostel and just wondered around the city today, I kinda spiraled out from the central park, turning anyway I felt like and then turning again. The shops and restaurants smell like old wood when I pass the open doors. This place is for getting my feet wet. While most people at the hostel speak english, I did learn two knew words today while looking for something.

Wondering into a couple of shops, with some difficulty I managed to explain/pantimime what I was looking for. At the third shop, the young man wrote down for me that I was looking for a condado, and told me I could get it at a Ferreteria and pointed one out down the street.

The Ferreteria was closed and I had another conversation with the shop owner next door about some knitting needles. I asked if she knew about a condado and if the shop was open. She said yes its open. But it looked closed. Oh, because its 1pm, she told me. Of course they will be back later.

Now my real question: I need size 3.25mm (and size 3.75 which I have already) for my knitting project, the shop only had 3mm and 3.5 mm... do I keep looking or try up a size or down a size?

All my love,
Kristin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Depends on what you are knitting!! :)