Monday, October 13, 2008

Dear Debbie,
This morning finds me in Huehuetenango with Clare, a friend from La Escuela. She is changing her plane ticket next to me as I type because yesturday we decieded to spend the week in Chiapas. So a couple lovely days in San Christobal and then next weekend I am headed back to Xela! This should be interesting since I had no plans to go to Mexico or actually to enjoy the thrills of border crossing.

The Foro was exhilerating and edventually exhausting. I knit during a couple conferenses after giving up on being able to understand. On the final day I had a mental breakthrough and understood a presentation on Dams and hydroelectric mega projects that bulldoze their way through communities and the ways the communities are organizing to protect their land.

An hour later, equally unexplainable as the breakthrough, my brain shut down and refused entry to any spanish comprehension.

1 comment:

Nancy McRay said...

My love,
I think the knitting caused - or enabled- the breakthrough, and the exhaustion caused the block.

I'd love to hear more about the conference, more about your travels.