Friday, October 10, 2008

I can´t leave guatemala

Dear Debbie,
After a month of language school, I am in Guate at the Foro Social Américas. In typical foro style, events are changed, start late and all overlap. I think I have spent half the time pouring over my list of conferences trying to figure out which one to attend. I have been collecting as much free propaganda from the various luchas as I can get my hot little hands on. The University of San Carlos is beautiful and the only public university in Guatemala. I heard that it is as cheap as Q80 a month to attend and the majority of classes are held at night and on weekends since most students have jobs. There have been demonstrations on campus also this week to protest plans to privatize and raise the costs of the University.

In other news I have changed my ticket to Ecuador in order to stay longer in Guatemala, my plan is to spend more time at the language school where I have fallen in love with the community.

here are some pictures to make up for being out of touch.




2 comments:

Matthew said...

two things:
1. i love it when you blog and we get to hear all about what you are doing
2. ONE picture definitely does NOT qualify as "some pictures"

glad you are enjoying it all!!!!

Kristin said...

Ok, thats true I failed on the multiple picture idea. Because the internet and computer were being crazy slow and refusing to load my hundreds of pictures. And, Evo Morales was going to speak outside right at that same moment at the social forum. Of course he didn´t actually but I didn´t know that and had to hurry outside to wait. First it was uncomfortably hot and then a 15 min downpour briefly drove off all the attendes. I ended up taking refuge with a group useing their banner as a rain cover. Long story short, you didn´t get adaquate pictures.